For testing purposes it's handy to have a VM of your OS of choice on your developer machine. When testing with Mac OSX, VirtualBox can be used as a free alternative to VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop.
You following things:
- create Apple-ID if not yet done
- download Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite in App Store
- install iesd Ruby Gem:
gem install iesd
- create OS install image usable for VirtualBox:
iesd -i /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app -o Desktop/Mac_OSX_Yosemite.dmg -t BaseSystem
- create new VM in VirtualBox:
- select type 'Mac OS X', version 'Mac OS X (64 bit)'
- create at least 20 GB harddisk
- give at least 2 GB of RAM, 2 CPUs, 64 MB of video memory
- select Mac_OSX_Yosemite.dmg as CD/DVD image
- boot VM, partition disk and install OS
- now we have a base image for testing